Saturday, March 23, 2019

Northern Lights Winter Scarf


Do you ever see the Northern Lights where you live?  Here in Minnesota, I see them every few years.  The colors in this scarf remind me of the waves of purple that I saw one evening driving home from a friends house.

This yarn was one of my impulse buys.  I only picked up two skeins, so it took me several attempts to get the pattern right for the yarn.  This yarn is so beautiful and soft so I just knew I needed to make a warm winter scarf.   It's made with the Lemon Peel stitch, one of my favorites.  I love the simplicity and texture of it and how it showcases the yarn.

One of my other favorite scarf patterns is the Minnehaha Mesh scarf.  It's a lighter weight scarf perfect for fall or spring. 

If you are looking for a coordinated hat, the Northern Lights Winter Hat is done with the Lemon Peel stitch in the round!  It coordinates beautifully!

Supplies
Crochet Hook Size N
Size 5 Bulky Acrylic Yarn, approximately 210 yards
Yarn Needle
Scissors

This scarf was made with two skeins of Serenity yarn, Majesty by Premier Yarns.  It is soft and cozy and perfect for cold winter days!

  

Crochet Stitches: 
Chain (ch)
Single Crochet (sc)
Double Crochet (dc)

Finished size is 57 x 6 inches

Pattern:
Ch-15
Row 1: sc in second ch from hook, dc in next.  (Sc in next, dc in next repeat until end) Chain 1 and then turn. (14 Stitches)
Row 2: sc in first st, dc in second.  (sc in next, dc in next to end.)  Chain 1, turn.  (14 stitches)
Repeat row 2 until scarf is desired length.  Fasten off and then weave in the ends.

If you want your scarf wider or narrower, you can use any multiple of 2+1 for your starting chain.  You will have to adjust the amount of yarn required accordingly.


Pin it on Pinterest
Place it in your Ravelry Queue

 Happy Crafting!
💗 Grandma Duck 💗

6 comments:

  1. Lemon peel is my favorite stitch pattern... I have used it for scarves and blankets... my grandchildren and I love the texture. Nearly 10 years ago, I crocheted a large baby blanket in Caron Simply Soft, and I noticed the other day, the same blanket still seems to comfort my granddaughter while she watches TV... now it is lapghan sized for her. Now inspired to make her a new scarf... with bulky yarn and this stitch. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon peel stitch is also one of my favorites! I love the texture and that it softens the look of the rows. Maybe your granddaughter needs a bigger lemon peel blanket too! I would love to see a picture of your scarf after you make it! Thanks for leaving a comment. It is much appreciated! Happy Stitching!!

      Delete
  2. Lovly scarf pattern stich the colours mix so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I missed your lovely comment! Thank you so much for compliment! If you make one, I'd love to see!

      Delete
  3. im making this scarf for my gma and i absolutely adore this stitch with the yarn I'm using. beautiful pattern. ty sm for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete