Friday, April 12, 2019

Mesh Dishcloth

If you know one thing about me after reading my blog it might be that I make a lot of dishcloths!  You would be right - I certainly do!  I enjoy crafting practical things like blankets, hats, and scarves.  But my favorite thing to crochet is dishcloths.  I also like to use dishcloths to test new stitches or stitch combinations.

The finished product has a bit of stretch and drapes nicely.  It's perfect for wiping counters.

If you are looking for other fun dishcloth patterns, click here: Grandma Duck Designs Dishcloths





Close up of the stitches
Supplies:
Cotton yarn
Crochet hook size G or H
Yarn needle

Stitches:
Chain = ch
Single Crochet = sc
Chain Space = ch-sp

Pattern: Mesh Dishcloth
Chain 28
Row 1: sc in the fourth ch from the hook, (ch 2, skip one ch, sc in next) repeat across row, turn.
Row 2: ch 3, sc in the first ch-sp, ch 2 (sc in next ch-sp, ch 2) repeat across row, sc in last ch-sp, turn.
Repeat row 2 until the desired size.

To increase or decrease the finished size, chain any even number.

Place it in your Ravelry Queue
Pin it on Pinterest

 Happy Stitching!
💗 Grandma Duck 💗
  


19 comments:

  1. These look great.... so much better than the ones with the fancy stitches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made more dishcloths with this pattern than any other. I'd love to see a picture if you make one!

      Delete
  2. Love the name Grandma Duck. It's so darn cute. She's your duckling. Memories between you will be keepsakes forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a long time she thought "duckling" was her middle name. :)

      Delete
  3. I followed your pattern for this washcloth so many times. Everytime I do the gaps really gap. It looks floppy. I used peaches and creme 100% cotton yarn. I tried an H and F hook. It doesn't make a difference. Should I use a yarn that is not 100% cotton. Like maybe mostly cotton, but not entirely? If so, will the absorbency be the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many ch stitches are you doing?

      I've used yarn that is mostly cotton with success. I didn't notice a difference in absorbency.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Shelli for this pattern. I love it! I do pot holders with the magic pot holder pattern and I do the hangers to stuff the towel through. But I love doing dish rags this pattern is kind of what I’ve been looking for. It doesn’t eat up yarn. And it’s not so heavy after you make it that it’s sours right away. Thanks again for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also like that it has just a bit of stretch to it.

      Delete
  5. Love this pattern!How many rows do you do when making your dishcloth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I crochet until the dishcloth is square. I never have counted the rows.

      Delete
  6. What type of yarn is best? All cotton or other fibers ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For dishcloths, use a cotton or cotton blend that is designed for dishcloths. Some dishcloth yarn is mostly cotton but adds other fibers. Stay away from mercerized cotton since it isn't nearly as absorbent as regular kitchen cotton yarn.

      Delete
  7. What yarn did you use on the denim pot holder in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cone of this: Premier Yarns Home Cotton Yarn-Multi Cone-Denim Splash, Blue

      Delete
  8. Love this pattern…so fast and easy! I’ve made a hundred or more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this stitch!!! Can't wait to try it! Also love that you get right to pattern! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete