Saturday, February 23, 2019

Poncho Vest - Pattern Alteration

One of my challenges for this year was to make some sort of sweater, top, poncho, or shawl for either myself or my granddaughter. 

I started with the fabulous Misty Morning Poncho Top pattern.  I then altered it to fit from adult to little girl size.  Some of you are going to cringe, but one of my favorite parts of crocheting, knitting, quilting, and sewing is using my math teacher skills to alter patterns.  In this case, it was a simple ratio problem to figure out a starting chain to fit my duckling.

Once I completed the two panels, it was time to try it on.  I used stitch markers as "pins" to hold the pieces together so that I could figure out how long of seams I needed for the front, back and sides.  It was at this point that she decided that she did not want a seam up the front, but instead, she wanted button closures.  This made the poncho top into a poncho vest.  You can see in the pictures the fitting process with stitch markers.   It worked great! 


   
After completing the back and side seams, our next step was to pick buttons.  After sewing on the buttons, I then slip stitched up the front, making loops of 9 slip stitches to form the closures.   Next, I added one row of single crochet and one row of half double crochet to the bottom edge before adding the fringe.  

She loves how it turned out and is especially pleased that I let her help plan the project and make all the decisions.  I am in the process of making myself one of these poncho tops.

Happy Crafting!
💗 Grandma Duck 💗


No comments:

Post a Comment