Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Popsicle Pom-Pom Hat


What makes a kid's hat go from boring to fantastic?  Color?  Texture?  Pom-Poms?  This hat has it all!  These bright colors are reminiscent of summer and popsicles bring some playfulness into winter fashion.

I am so excited to bring you the Popsicle Pom-Pom hat as part of the Winter Fashion Blog Hop hosted by E'Claire Makery!  You can find  a whole month's worth of awesome  patterns here: Winter Fashion Blog Hop

I had a daydream about this hat sometime in June but was too busy to experiment with it.   I sketched my idea and then later in the summer I did my test run with the pattern.  I love when everything comes together!  The hat looked even better than I had pictured.  But, I made one big mistake.  The only thing I wrote down about the pattern was this; "First attempt, ch 69."  Not very helpful!  So, just this past week, I recreated the hat.  I learned a good lesson - take better notes!

If you make a hat please add the project on Ravelry, add a photo to the comments or tag me on Instagram.  I would love to see what you make!

Popsicle Pom-Pom Hat 

Supplies: 
Crochet hook size I
Stitch marker
200 yards of weight 4 yarn
Yarn needle
2 Pom- Poms

Stitches:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
sl-st = slip stitch

Notes:
  • I used Red Heart Super Saver in Polo Stripes to make the hat and the pom-poms
  • This hat is crocheted in continuous rounds.
  • Be careful not to twist the foundation chain when joining into a circle.
  • Sizing: This hat is sized to fit an elementary-aged child.  To resize the hat, use an odd number of chains in the foundation chain.  I like using this hat size chart.  Suggestions for adult size are below the pattern.
  • It is important in rows 8 and beyond that each single crochet is placed above a double crochet and each double crochet is placed above a single crochet.  This forms the Lemon Peel stitch.  
  • If you end up with an even number of stitches, don't panic!  You can fudge it by doing a dc and sc in the same stitch at the end of row 7.
  • The texture in rows 7 and beyond will appear on the backside of the stitches. 



Add this pattern to your Ravelry Queue
Pin this pattern on Pinterest




Pattern:

Foundation: ch 67, sl-st to join.

Row  1: ch1, sl-st in first ch, place a stitch marker, sl-st in next, sc in all remaining ch (67 stitches)

Row 2: sc in each stitch (67 stitches)

Rows 3-6: repeat row 2 (67 stitches)

Row 7: sc in first {dc in next, sc in next} repeat until the end of the round

Row 8: dc in first {sc in next, dc in next) repeat until the end of the round

Continue alternating rows 7 & 8 until the hat is about 7 1/2" tall.

Finishing the Hat: End the final round straight above the stitch marker.  Fold the hat flat.  Seam the top of the hat using slip stitches.   Add one pom-pom to each corner.

To Make Adult Size: Foundation chain 71, hat height 8 - 8 1/2 inches.

Happy Crafting
🧡 Grandma Duck 🧡

Don't miss any fun free patterns!  Subscribe to Grandma Duck Designs by Email

This pattern is for personal use only. It cannot be sold, redistributed, or edited in any way.
Copyright 2019, Grandma Duck Designs

2 comments: