Thursday, January 3, 2019

Superhero Capes

Are you looking for a fun idea to chase away the winter blues?  Do you have a little one who loves superheroes?  I made these Superhero capes as gifts for two special little girls.  They loved them!  The girls put them on and ran endless circles through my living room, dining room and kitchen.  I believe the capes even made them run faster.  (OK, they believed that but who am I to doubt them?)

The website linked in the pattern section below has a wonderful step-by-step tutorial to make these fun capes.  Pattern sizes include 18 months through adult.






Materials and supplies to make one cape:
  • Red cotton fabric, 1 yard
  • Blue fabric, 1 yard
  • Velcro
  • Blue and White Felt, 12" square of each
  • Printer and paper
  • Temporary marking pen.  I used a FriXon pen.  
Tips & Tricks:
  • Do not iron felt!  I melted the felt onto my iron and had a huge mess to clean up.   My original thought was to use an iron-on adhesive to attach the white and blue layers to make the emblem.   What a mess!  
  • I google searched Superman alphabet, found an A and a B.  I used Google Docs to resize the letter to the size I wanted for the applique.  
  • After printing out the letter, I cut it out and then used a FriXon pen to trace it onto the white felt.  After cutting out the white letter, I pinned it onto the blue felt background.  I machine appliqued around the letter using a buttonhole stitch and white thread.  After I completed the machine applique, I trimmed the blue felt.  
  • Note: Any markings from a FriXon pen can be removed with heat.  Normally, I use my iron, but in this case, I used my hair dryer to remove the markings from the white felt.  
  • The Superhero letter was machine appliqued onto the back of the cape before sewing the cape pieces together.
Pattern: Superhero Cape from Made by Me Monday

Happy Crafting!
💗Grandma Duck💗


No comments:

Post a Comment