Thursday, January 24, 2019

Sedge Stitch Dishcloth

I don't know about all of you, but I love making quick and useful projects.  Some of my friends call me the "Washcloth Queen!"  HAHA!!  The Sedge Stitch Dishcloth is one of my favorite patterns.  It uses a combination of SC, HDC and DC crochet stitches worked into the same chain.  This creates a slanted, almost fan shape stitch with a fabulous texture.  

My first published original dishcloth design, Sedge Stripe Dishcloth,  uses a combination of alternating rows of the sedge stitch, single crochet, and double crochet to create a fun texture.  Be sure to check out that fun pattern!  


Sedge Stitch Pattern:
Chain 32 (or any multiple of 3 +2)
Row 1: SC in 2nd CH from hook, 1 HDC, 1 DC in same CH.  [skip 2 CH, (SC, HDC, DC) in next CH] repeat until 3 CH remaining.  skip 2 CH, SC in last CH. Turn.
Row 2: CH 1, (SC, HDC, DC) in first stitch (last SC from previous row) [skip 2 stitches, (SC, HDC, DC) in next stitch] repeat until 3 remaining.  Skip 2 stitches, SC in last stitch. Turn.
Repeat Row 2 until the dishcloth is square or desired size.

Abbreviations:
CH = Chain
SC = Single Crochet
HDC = Half Double Crochet
DC = Double Crochet

Supplies:
Crochet Hook H or I
Cotton Yarn 
Yarn Needle
Scissors

I am on a mission to use up the cotton yarn that I have so that I can purchase some new colors.  You can see in the picture below some of my dishcloths I made to use up bits and scraps of yarn.  The dark pink and lime green yarn I've had for 10+ years.  


The texture is perfect for scrubbing dishes.

I think that the Sedge Stitch would make a beautiful baby blanket crocheted in a soft baby yarn.  I'll have to put that on my list to try.

 Happy Crafting!
💗 Grandma Duck 💗

3 comments:

  1. I love this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this pattern soon. The old colors look great. They have similar colors out now. Nice stash busting.

    ReplyDelete